Tuesday 14 February 2012

New York Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2012-2013 (08.02-13.02)

I wondered onto Vogue.co.uk to check out some fashion and get some inspiration when I clicked through to their New York Fashion Week coverage. I ended up spending over an hour drooling over all the autumn/winter 2012-2013 offerings. I had a lot to catch up on as NYFW started on the 8th so I've put together some images from the shows up until yesterday that I feel will influence what's in my wardrobe this coming autumn/winter.

Kimberley Ovitz
If you have read some of my previous posts you may know that I am a slight colour phobe when it comes to clothes. My wardrobe is made up of mainly black, grey and white and I tend to stick to those colours especially in winter. Consisting of mainly black and some neutrals this collection is something I could take straight from the runway out onto the street. Black dresses, black trousers, black jackets paired with black ankle boots owned the catwalk. It was tough but with a slight femininity. Very Girl With The Dragon Tattoo-esque. You could easily take pieces from this collection and insert into your wardrobe.

Ruffian
Almost polar opposite to Kimberley, Ruffian oozed 1920's and 1940's fashion. Figure hugging dresses cinched in at the waist to give the impression of curves, ruffled necklines, pencil skirts and waist skimming, tailored jackets showed that ladies could be smart and still look every bit the woman. Love the trilby hats and the hairstyles. In my dream world this is what I would wear everyday.

Herve Leger by Max Azaria
It was all about the waist at Herve. Near enough every outfit was accessorised with a waist cinching belt almost like a harness adding an almost armour feel to the dresses. There was a Roman/Gladiator feel with gladiator sandals wrapped around calves all the way to the knee. Fur was used on arms, skirts and shoulders as if these ladies had been hunting and used animal furs to keep them warm. These women were dressed and ready for war.

Victoria Beckham
Victoria Beckham went military for autumn/winter. Gold buttons, shoulder detailing, long boots and army green and black made the models turn into a fashionable brigade. Waists again were highlighted with belts and stripes helping to give femininity to outfits. I love the woolly socks under the boots, the v collars adding a pop of colour and the mix of masculine shoulders with womanly waists.

DKNY
I felt like I'd been transported to a fashionable future when looking through the DKNY runway photos. Shiny leather, alligator skirts, thick belts and sunglasses made me instantly think of The Matrix - but more fashionable. The fact that most of the collection was black means I can instantly see myself wearing most of these pieces. I liked the flash of colour with that gorgeous shade of red.

Giulietta
This collection is oh so girly. Models hair cupped the face in low ponytails to transform them into real life russian dolls. The palette was a mixture of warm reds, muted browns, luxurious creams and classic monochrome. I love the contrasting light collars against dark backgrounds, the material belts that blend in to the outfit with rounded edged buckles and white buttons and tights. A nice mix of prim and proper with cute girlishness. 

Jenny Packham
I was in love with this collection from the moment I layed eyes on it. Play suits and wet look, floor skimming dresses are right up my street. Attention was drawn to shoulders whether it be because they're on show or by some delicate embellishments and hair was swept up so the shape of shoulder were on show.  Again waists were accentuated to balance out the shoulders. Materials draped in colours ranging from black to beige.

Donna Karen
You know the song 'this is a man world' when I see this collection I imagine the sound track would be opposing to that. Trilby hats, shoulders so sharp you could get a cut, smart cuffs and material wrapped around the waist to show of curves would convince anyone that these women are ruling, whether that be in a board room or running some kind of fashion mafia.

Thom Browne
Thom Browne is one of those designers that you know is going to have a show full of eccentricities and quirks and his autumn/winter collection didn't disappoint. Woollen foxes and cone adornments probably won't be making an appearance in my wardrobe any time soon but there are elements of the collection that will not doubt filter down to the high street and onto my back. There is something so tactile about the clothes. Rough wool and soft knits are perfect materials and textures for autumn winter and anyone could wear a woollen jacket or skirt plus the muted colours makes the pieces even more wearable.

Betsey Johnson
Betsey's collection screams swinging sixties Britain. Neon pink and oranges paired with tartan suits and capes are a scary thought but there is something so right about them. The bright pink shirt with the tartan suit is certainly a bold statement but could definitely be worn. The black and white looks with a splash of red is something I would wear. I love those striped tights! The collection is adventurous, fun and captures the eccentricity Britain is loved for.

Gregory Parkinson
I never really paid attention to Gregory Parkinson before so when I seen his collection i questioned why that was because this collection is so nice! Purples and blues are the main colours with accents of browns and greens. It's got a freshness and youthfulness to it and I could easily see these clothes being sold in shops such as H&M. I love that purple fur coat and the green shoes. Gregory is firmly on my fashion radar.

What shows have attracted your attention? What shows are you looking forward to?
All images collected from Vogue UK

No comments:

Post a Comment